On October 1st, 1960, Nigeria became an independent country after being a British protectorate since 1901.
Efik dancers ready to dance.
2. There’s Princess Alexandra of Kent opening the first parliament of the New Nigeria.
3. Students having a march past.
4. Happy Nigerians celebrating independence.
5. Cross section of individuals at the celebration.
6. Prime Minister, Tafawa Balewa addressing the crowd
7. The streets!
8. There’s Princess Alexandra of Kent again.
9. Views from the top: New prime minister, Tafawa Balewa and Princess Alexandra